WDC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you reading (other than comicbooks)?

2 posters

Go down

What are you reading (other than comicbooks)? Empty What are you reading (other than comicbooks)?

Post by NewEnglandGothic Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I was hoping Kathryn would start a thread like this, but I'll get the ball rolling. Smile
A couple of you know of my affinity for teen sleuth books (not really the middle school ones) and after finishing run-of-the-mill potboilers Shiver (Lisa Jackson) and Into the Darkest Corner (Elizabeth Hayes), I've graduated to Alan Bradley's "I Am Half-Sick of Shadows" (4th book). It's a Flavia de Luce mystery, you know that pint sized powerhouse whose knowledge of exotic poisons pose as a direct threat to her enemies.

What are you reading?
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

What are you reading (other than comicbooks)? Empty Re: What are you reading (other than comicbooks)?

Post by katharath Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Ha!! Jerel, I've been meaning to start this thread, I swear. I just posted over in the RIP TJ thread that sort of explains why I hadn't yet... But thank you for starting it anyway Smile

I've been reading a TON lately, but I have actually been rereading a lot. I just read Gone with the Wind for the first time, then read the sequel Scarlett. I reread The Blind Mirror by christopher pike which is a favorite of mine. I've felt like comfort books lately - books that I know and love. I've even been thinking about rereading the Anne of Green Gables books, lol...

katharath

Back to top Go down

What are you reading (other than comicbooks)? Empty Re: What are you reading (other than comicbooks)?

Post by NewEnglandGothic Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm

katharath wrote:I've felt like comfort books lately - books that I know and love.  I've even been thinking about rereading the Anne of Green Gables books, lol...
I hear you. I've been skimming through some overly familiar Erle Stanley Gardner books too.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by katharath Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that. It's funny bc I'm extremely picky about rewatching tv shows or movies; it's REALLY rare for me to rewatch a tv show, although I'm a bit more relaxed about watching good movies over again. But I LOVE to reread a good book. There are certain books that I reread regularly, once a year. It's very comforting and feels so good to slip into a book I know very well. Like visiting with an old friend.

katharath

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:42 pm

"The Actual and Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher" (Jessica Lawson) is a pretty hip kid's book.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:13 pm

Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Up to "The Knapsack, The Hat, and The Horn".

NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:46 am

"Speaking From Among the Bones" by Alan Bradley, "The Spellman Files" by Lisa Lutz and Dennis Lehane's "Mystic River" all at once.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Found like 12 Charlaine Harris-Sookie Stackhouse novels at the dump (recycling room) this afternoon. Can't wait to see what started True Blood.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by katharath Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 pm

Oh the True Blood books are waaaaay different (better?!?) than the show. The show was was too crazy for me, but I liked most of the books. Unfortunately the last few books were not good Sad. The first 7-8 I enjoyed, though.

I'm re-reading The Princess Bride for like the 10th time. It's such a great book.

katharath

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:52 pm

katharath wrote:I'm re-reading The Princess Bride for like the 10th time.  It's such a great book.
One of my top movies.
I just upgraded it with the Dread Pirate Edition.
The extras and commentaries were outstanding.
I heard Cary Elwes has a poorly written book just out about behind-the-scenes too.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:54 pm

katharath wrote:Oh the True Blood books are waaaaay different (better?!?) than the show.  The show was was too crazy for me, but I liked most of the books.  Unfortunately the last few books were not good Sad. The first 7-8 I enjoyed, though.
Never cared for the show too much myself.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by katharath Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:47 pm

NewEnglandGothic wrote:
katharath wrote:I'm re-reading The Princess Bride for like the 10th time.  It's such a great book.
One of my top movies.
I just upgraded it with the Dread Pirate Edition.
The extras and commentaries were outstanding.
I heard Cary Elwes has a poorly written book just out about behind-the-scenes too.

Nice, it's one of my all time fav movies too. It's a classic. The Dread Pirate edition sounds awesome.

I saw the Cary Elwes book on amazon - looks kind of meh.

katharath

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Picked up a copy Saturday. Can't wait to start it tomorrow!
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down