WDC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The Horror... The Horror" The Official WDC Horror Movie Recommendation Thread

2 posters

Go down

"The Horror... The Horror" The Official WDC Horror Movie Recommendation Thread Empty "The Horror... The Horror" The Official WDC Horror Movie Recommendation Thread

Post by NewEnglandGothic Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Though I warn you guys, I'm not an "Oasis of the Zombie" or "Cannibal Holocaust" kind of horror fan with my personal pics.

I recently found an unknown B-movie called "Confine" starring a very game Daisy Lowe as a model burned out after an accident right smack in the middle of a home invasion at her residence. Running at a lean81 minutes, this is one of those perfect kind of late night Saturday evening flicks, that make you root for the deranged villian (a scary, yet funny Eliza Bennett) to put your hero/heroine in enough mayhem to satisfy your primal interest. This one steers from the glorified violence of the recent home invasion dud "Cherry Tree Lane" and gives it a more subdued edge, ala "Home Sweet Home" or "The Purge".
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

"The Horror... The Horror" The Official WDC Horror Movie Recommendation Thread Empty Re: "The Horror... The Horror" The Official WDC Horror Movie Recommendation Thread

Post by EvilAsh Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:01 am

Sounds interesting Jerel, thanks for the review!

EvilAsh
EvilAsh

Back to top Go down

"The Horror... The Horror" The Official WDC Horror Movie Recommendation Thread Empty Re: "The Horror... The Horror" The Official WDC Horror Movie Recommendation Thread

Post by NewEnglandGothic Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:40 pm

EvilAsh wrote:Sounds interesting Jerel, thanks for the review!

I watch a lot of obscure horror flicks, that come off better than most regular drama movies. Laughing

NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:46 pm

Next up is "Crawl". It stars a gorgeous Georgina Haig as a waitress who must out manuever an older calm hitman's (guns, axes, etc) wraith as he gets ready to settle a bloody (very) score with those around her. A film festival favorite and a bloody good time with a decent run time of 80 minutes. The great thing about this one is that it ends so quickly after your reved up, you immediately want to do a double feature late night.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Shocked Anyone watch "Haunter" yet? It's a deranged cross of Groundhog Day and Scream, with a little Richard Speck mixed in for good measure. Super-talented actress Abigail Breslin must help her next life's counterpart from the ghastly fate she suffered six years before. A dark, moody, twisty (and twisted) rollercoaster ride with a fairly suspenseful climax for a slasher flick. Surprised if it won't wind up a cult classic, like Trick 'R Treat twenty years from now.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:32 pm

Tonight's pic is "House of Bad". Three sisters steal a lot of drugs from a violent drug dealer to barter a new life with. They decide to hide out at the old family house, that's full of personal demons (they don't have to be supernatural to be scary). Well the dealer tracks them down and all Hell breaks loose. Actresses (Heather Tyler, Sasie Katz & Cheryl Sands) dominate this b-movie exploring their inner female rage of not wanting to be helpless anymore. Surprisingly, when the cliches (tough older sister, younger sister sampling the product, murder cover-up, etc) come, you can forgive them for trying to have a mainstream trailer so an audience can discover it in an enticing preview.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by EvilAsh Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:12 am

Haunted sounds great, I'll have to check that one out, thanks Jerel
EvilAsh
EvilAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:49 pm

The funniest spoof of slasher films ever made was "Detention". It's The Breakfast Club meets Prom Night eats Scream x Hot Tub Time Machine. it's basically about a "loser", yet lovable gal with a broken leg out to woo her crush to prom while a copycat serial killer is about to end the universe through alien time travel. It's downright hilarious with it's scathing wit and commentary on high scool life and time paradoxes. It's also smartly constructed of various character vignettes that will you in tears of laughter, while continuing it's horror plot. After the opening scene "murder", you'll just sit back to enjoy this little gem. I could not predict where the plot was going and I've seen hundreds of these movies. Four stars!
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:21 pm

Has anybody ever noticed how funny Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives is? It's way funnier than Jason X (I think unintentional ha-ha funny that one was) and I guess an inspired Kevin Williamson used some it's tone when writing Scream according to the commentary. Go figure.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by EvilAsh Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:31 am

Watched the movie adaptation of "Horns" last night, and my wife and I both enjoyed it.
Daniel Radcliffe did an awesome job, IMHO

EvilAsh
EvilAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:32 pm

EvilAsh wrote:Watched the movie adaptation of "Horns" last night, and my wife and I both enjoyed it.
Daniel Radcliffe did an awesome job, IMHO

Never watched the busted pilot to L&K even. Gotta feeling this will be in the same boat.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Trying to re-watch TWD in B/W. Starting with episode one.

Liked the Carrie remake. Not really scary, but I was glad it was a little topical with cyber bullying.
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by EvilAsh Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:09 am

I wish I could find the L&K pilot..... Do you have a source Jerel?
EvilAsh
EvilAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by NewEnglandGothic Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:12 pm

EvilAsh wrote:I wish I could find the L&K pilot..... Do you have a source Jerel?
I live deep, deep, deep in the country. No high speed internet for me (well, late 2015 maybe). Everything I watch is from a disc. I miss high speed. Sad
NewEnglandGothic
NewEnglandGothic

Back to top Go down

Post by EvilAsh Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:58 am

Sorry Jerel, worth a shot! Very Happy
EvilAsh
EvilAsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum